Skip to main content

Hoarding form 221

You’ll find on this page:

If individuals or businesses need to erect temporary hoarding, scaffolding, skip bins/storage boxes, or fencing over a public footpath or road while building or other work is being done on their property, they will need to apply for a permit.

The placement of structures on or over the footpath/road can impede pedestrian access, potentially block traffic sightlines and pose a risk to the community. This needs to be assessed and regulated to protect public safety and amenity and enable the free flow of traffic.

Application Form

An application for a hoarding permit can be easily made online. Before you start, please have the following handy as you will need to submit the following information with your application 3 weeks before the permit is required:

  • Certificate of Currency showing public liability insurance with a public risk of $20,000,000
  • Site plan of the proposed location
  • Traffic management plan - if there is an impact on traffic flow or the footpath is narrowed to less than 1.5 metres.

Authorisation will be issued for the expected duration of the work but will not exceed three months. A new application form will be required where additional time is needed. All applications must be returned to us two weeks before the expiry of the original authorisation.

Please ensure you have read and understand the Terms and Conditions before completing the form.

All required information must be provided before the application will be considered.

Permit type
Please note : applications must be submitted 3 weeks before the request date.
Permit Type 
Application type 

Location of works

Site Address

What is the size of the bin/shipping container?

Required documents

If you are using a contractor to perform any of the works on the verge, please upload the contractor’s public liability insurance Certificate of Currency for at least TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS ($20,000,000) below. Max size 3MB

The site map of the proposed location should indicate: a.) Length of the hoarding in metres b.) Depth from the property alignment in metres c.) Total area (a x b) in square metres d.) location on the footpath and the width of the remaining footpath for pedestrian access area e.)Any car parking spaces taken up/road closures

Will there be any impact on the footpath or road?  

See FAQs for more information about traffic management

if applicable

Will there be complex works, such as multiple stages and/or shifts, or on roads with high traffic volumes
Contact details
Applicant details 

if applicable

Is your postal address different from your property address?
Postal Address

Please complete if different to property address


Your browser does not support the Signature field


Non-refundable application fee of $67- $74 depending on request,

Per car space $59 per day (if bays are not marked then apply 2.4m x 6m per for car space)

Per ticketed car space - current fee for the time required

Hoarding space outside of car spaces $1 per square metre

Road closure $300 / day (capped at one day*)

* Requests for more than one day are considered separately

Traffic management schemes are required whenever the proposed works impact the operation of roads or footpaths. Traffic management schemes typically involve the use of worksite signage to guide and inform road or path users, and traffic schemes generally need to be prepared by a person holding current Work Zone Traffic Management (WZTM) accreditation.

For simple works, the SA Standards for Work Zone Traffic Management allows for traffic management to be conducted using a Traffic Guidance Scheme (sketch of where signs/devices will be placed), a risk assessment and a record or daily diary to keep track of when signs and devices are placed on or removed from a road.

For more complex works, such as when works need to be conducted in multiple stages and/or shifts or on roads with high traffic volumes, a documented Traffic Management Plan will be required

Council land encompasses roads, kerb, footpaths, verge areas, and reserves within the jurisdiction.

Property owners can engage a licensed surveyor to accurately establish property boundaries before commencing any plans or works.

Only those authorised by the council can make alterations to public roads, footpaths, or verges. This includes contractors with Council permission.

Alterations include various activities such as creating new access points, installing structures, changing road materials, planting vegetation, or interfering with existing vegetation.

To perform any of the above-mentioned alterations, you must apply for a Section 221 Permit from the Council. This permit grants authorisation for the intended alterations.

If there's a street tree where you intend to work, note it on the application and provide its location on the sketch.

  • Property owners or occupants are not authorised to remove or relocate healthy or unwell public trees from Council land without prior discussion and written approval from Council.

Refer to Council's Tree Management Policy or contact them for guidance.

Please contact Council via email to for further information or call Customer Service on 8229 9999 and ask for assistance.

Property owners and contractors are responsible for any damage to Council assets. Council conducts surveys before and after work to reduce damage. Under the Local Government Act 1999, non-compliant works must be rectified by the property owner, and costs incurred by Council will be recovered.

  1. Approval shall only be issued where on-site placement of hoarding, scaffolding or equipment is not possible or impractical.
  2. Placement of hoarding, scaffolding or equipment is to occur only in an area approved and specified by the City of Holdfast Bay.
  3. A Traffic Management Plan must accompany this application if traffic flow or pedestrian movements will be interrupted.
  4. Any on-road traffic management must be conducted under AS1742.3 (Australian Standard Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Part 3:Traffic Control Devices for Works on Roads).
  5. A minimum footpath width of 1.2 metres must be provided for pedestrian traffic under AS1742.3 (Australian Standard Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Part 3: Traffic Control Devices for Works on Roads).
  6. The Applicant must submit a copy of their current public liability insurance policy with this application. The Certificate of Currency must be for not less than TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS ($20,000,000).
  7. The Applicant acknowledges that the Council is not liable for any injury, damage or loss resulting from the granting of this permit; and, the Applicant indemnifies and holds harmless the Council in respect of any claim that may arise from such injury, damage or loss.
  8. The Applicant accepts responsibility for any damage caused to the road or footpath surface, or any other damage to public property, as the result of the erection, placement or removal of the hoarding, scaffolding or equipment; and, understands that Council may complete any repairs necessary and recover the costs from the Applicant, under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1999 Section 233.
  9. The hoarding, scaffolding or equipment be removed from the site each night and made safe for pedestrians and road users. If the hoarding, scaffolding or equipment is left on site overnight, warning devices and lights must be attached to the hoarding to warn road users and pedestrians of the structure per AS1742.3.
  10. If the hoarding, scaffolding or equipment is located on Jetty Road at Glenelg, between Brighton Road and Moseley Square; and, has the potential to encroach near the tramway or overhead tram wires, the Applicant shall confirm having Rail Network Access approval from the Department of Planning, Transport & Infrastructure.
  11. Rail Network Access conditions and application information are at

Contact us