We are a community with great recreation spaces, facilities and sporting clubs that provide opportunities to be active both indoors and out. We are committed to helping our community be active and our sport and recreation clubs be welcoming, sustainable and well run.
For the Community
Be Active at The Bay
Be Active at the Bay encourages residents, visitors and workers of all ages to reach their recommended 30 minutes of physical activity a day by engaging in a FREE outdoor fitness program.
Community Tennis Courts
We have a number of tennis courts available for the community to access and enjoy with family and friends. These courts are available without booking or a fee and are there to share with other members of the community.
Personal Training Permits
If you are a personal trainer looking to use one of our beautiful parks, reserves or beaches for personal training or group fitness sessions you are required to hold a valid personal training permit.
Personal Training Permits
Get Active in Holdfast Bay
We have lots of great opportunities to lead active lifestyles here in Holdfastbay:
- Parks, Beaches and play spaces: Visit one of our great parks, beaches or play spaces. There are lots of free activities you can do with your family and friends when you get there, such as playing some cricket on the beach, going exploring through one of our gullies or collecting some leaves and flower to make nature art.
- Walking and Cycling Trails: Walk to school or work along our footpaths or visit our Walking and Bike Trails page to find a walking or riding trail to visit on the weekend.
- Walking Groups: Join one of the many Heart Foundation Walking Groups in the area for a weekly walk finished with a cup of tea and a chat. Click here to find your local group.
- Events and Activities: Keep an eye out for fun exercise activities on our What’s On page. Some of the events we’ve run in the past include DJ yoga as well as boxing and cross training through the FREE Glenelg Live Life Get Active program!
For more information about the benefits of physical activity take a look at the Australian Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines
For Sports Clubs
We support our local sports and recreation clubs in a number of ways and we encourage club leaders to join our ClubHub database to receive information on club development opportunities.
To register for the ClubHub e-newsletter or to discuss how we can support your club contact the Community Recreation and Sports Coordinator (08) 8229 9965 or firstname.lastname@example.orgClub development workshops
Club Development Workshops
The City of Holdfast Bay has partnered with the City of Marion to offer a series of club development workshops throughout the year. Each workshop will focus on a different topic relevant to sporting and recreation clubs with the ultimate goal of helping clubs operate more effectively, recruit and maintain members and plan for the future to ensure longevity of the club.
The City of Holdfast Bay encourages clubs to become a STARCLUB - a well-run club where quality coaches and officials work alongside valued volunteers in a safe and welcoming environment. A STARCLUB will meet specific criteria and in the process receive information and support to build the club to provide the best environment possible for members and the wider community. STARCLUB is a program run by the Office for Recreation and Sport and can be a deciding factor for grant programs so why not turn your club into a STARCLUB!
City of Holdfast Bay Community Donations Program
This program provides support to organisations and clubs to increase opportunities for participation in physical activity, healthy eating and general community wellbeing and which in turn support the City of Holdfast Bay's "Our Place" Community Plan.
Sporting and Recreation Grants are available through the Community Recreation and Wellbeing Stream.
Office for Recreation and Sport Funding Programs
The Office for Recreation and Sport (ORS) supports sport and recreation through the development of policy, programs and resources, the provision of funding, recreation and sport planning, infrastructure development, elite sport pathways and programs, and the promotion of physical activity. Below are a number of funding programs on offer by the ORS that may be relevant to your club, if you find a program that fits with your clubs needs we encourage you to find out more by clicking here or speak with the ORS on 1300 714 990.
Active Club Program
The Active Club Program has two funding rounds per year, and helps active recreation and sports clubs with:
- facility upgrade requests up to $25,000 (Round 45 only)
- program and equipment up to and including $5,000 (Round 45 and Round 46)
Sport & Recreation Development & Inclusion Program
Provides assistance to eligible organisations to develop and implement projects that will grow the sport or activity, improve services or address barriers to inclusion.
Applicants can be funded up to $100,000 each year for up to 3 years
Applications are now closed.
Community Recreation & Sports Facility Program
The Community Recreation and Sport Facilities Program helps eligible organisations to establish or improve sport and active recreation facilities that meet the needs of the community in South Australia.
Organisations can apply under the following categories:
- Minor facility development (requests $25,000 - $200,000)
- Major facility development (requests $200,000 - $1,000,000)
Opens: 6 February 2019
Closes: 10 April 2019 (12 noon)