You’ll find on this page:
Becoming a volunteer is a fulfilling and rewarding way to help your community. Volunteering provides an opportunity to socialise with other volunteers and use your experience and personality for the benefit of the community. Volunteering is crucial to many of the City of Holdfast Bay’s programs and services.
Anyone who is:
- Willing to get involved in their local community
- Willing to freely offer their time, life experience, friendship and interests to enrich the lives of others in their community
- Reliable, honest, responsible, caring & committed
- Willing to learn/ teach/participate
- To be allocated to a suitable volunteer area or activity when a vacancy occurs
- To receive travel reimbursement when using own private vehicle in the course of volunteering activities
- To receive official clothing, name badge or equipment where required
- Training and support in Health and Safety and volunteer role requirements
- A reward and recognition program
- To enjoy their volunteering experience
- That volunteers act professionally in representing the City of Holdfast Bay
- That volunteers attend team meetings and undergo essential Occupational Health Safety and Welfare training
- That volunteers are reliable and enthusiastic
Volunteer Resource Centre
The Volunteer Resource Centre is a one-stop shop for all volunteers, those looking to volunteer as well as organisations that have or are thinking of introducing volunteers.
Alwyndor Aged Care Facility
Provides Hostel and Nursing Home support to aged persons, such as recreation and social programs, outings and bus trips, taking residents to appointments, morning and afternoon tea, garden maintenance, Alwyndor shop and room trolley service.
Bay Discovery Centre
Front-of-house duties and/or team leaders, supervise exhibits, tour guides.
Bike Pump Track Maintenance Assistance
Undertake minor maintenance associated with the bike pump track.
Community Bus and Personal Transport
Bus drivers, navigators, Bus Office support team for the community buses. Individual transport for less-able people to local appointments using volunteer's own vehicle.
Activities include planting local indigenous plant species in sand dunes or gullies, weeding, team leader duties, committee work and more. No experience is necessary, just enthusiasm and an interest in restoring and protecting our natural assets. For more information on Environmental Volunteering click here.
Research, collate, computer data entry and cataloguing of items of local historical significance. For more information on the History Centre click here.
Volunteers assist Council staff with minor home maintenance, including things such as changing light globes, changing smoke detector batteries, minor gardening, security checks and limited rubbish removal for aged and disabled people.
Public Education Volunteer - Attend designated public areas within the City of Holdfast Bay and hand out information (in the form of leaflets and hand-outs) to the public to educate and assist an understanding of the various legislations and regulations which Regulatory Services manage.
Volunteers are introduced to older people with a view to providing friendship, shopping assistance and practical support.
Holdfast Bay Library Service has volunteers who support people with improving their spoken and written English, assist with our Home Service program and re-shelve library materials at both library sites.
Volunteers are occasionally involved in assisting in the delivery of a number of events including Proclamation Day, City to Bay Fun Run, The Lord Mayor’s Garden Party, SALA and other art, sport and and cultural events.
Computer data entry, filing and routine clerical tasks.
You may have special skills or interests that can be applied to an individual or group special project, please let us know.
Justice of the Peace (JP)
To provide a regular Justice of the Peace service for the community within Council premises
- Brighton Civic Centre; 24 Jetty Road, Brighton between 10am and 12noon Monday
- Glenelg Library; 2 Colley Terrace, Glenelg between 9.30am and 11.30 Friday except public holidays