Skip to main content

Underground Electrical Connection 221 Form

Section 221 of the Local Government Act 1999, provides Council the ability to control works on roads, including requiring property owners to obtain permission from Council to construct underground electrical connections.

An underground electrical connection application is required to provide domestic power supply from a stobie pole/power supply to a property.

No fee is required for an underground electrical connection application.

Written approval needs to be given from Council, prior to the commencement of works on site. Please allow at least 10 working days to assess applications.

Please ensure you have the following documents ready to upload before completing the form:

  • The contractor’s Public Liability Insurance Certificate of Currency.
  • A plan or diagram, indicating the proposed driveway access dimensions and location, including distance to the nearest side boundary, any trees, service pits, or poles.

Conditions for Underground Electrical Connections

  • The underground cables shall be laid from the SA Power Networks pole to the building alignment of the property at 90 degrees to the kerb line and a maximum of 600mm from the front of the property boundary in accordance with SA Power Networks and Council requirements.
  • When street trees are present, the contractor shall at all times ensure that any damage to the tree and root system is minimised and seek Council advice prior to undertaking excavation works around any street trees.
  • The underground cable installation shall be approved by SA Power Networks before the excavations are backfilled.

• The underground cable is to be laid at a minimum depth of 600mm below the existing surface.

• Cables shall be laid in accordance with AS 3000-1991 Australian Standard (S.A.A. Wiring Rules), and the SA Power Networks Service Requirements.

  • The trench shall be reinstated with compacted earth back-fill in layers less than 200mm thick, up to 200mm below the final path level. The remaining 200mm is to be reinstated with compacted quarry sand or quarry rubble up to the underside of the finished type of surface.
  • The footpath should be reinstated to match the existing type with a maximum crossfall of 2.5%. Reinstatement work must be completed in accordance with the following:
    • Asphalt
      Edges of existing asphalt must be sawcut with a straight and clean edge. An approved bonding agent applied in accordance with the supplier’s recommendation. A minimum of 30mm compacted thickness layer formed from hot mix asphalt laid at a temperature within 4˚C of supply temperature. The finished surface shall be smooth and match existing levels.
    • Concrete
      Edges of the trench must be saw-cut with a straight and clean edge. A minimum of 75mm thickness 20 MPa strength concrete must be suitably compacted and finished to match the existing surface.
    • Paving bricks or blocks
      Paving brick or block thickness must be a minimum of 60mm. The trench edges must not be cut to a straight line where pavers must be interlocked together after construction.
    • No footpath
      Where no made footpath existed, the surface should be topped with similar material to the existing footpath with the surface left level, smooth and free from trip hazards.


Council land encompasses roads, kerb, footpaths, verge areas, and reserves within the jurisdiction.

Property owners can engage a licensed surveyor to accurately establish property boundaries before commencing any plans or works.

Only those authorised by the council can make alterations to public roads, footpaths, or verges. This includes contractors with Council permission.

Alterations include various activities such as creating new access points, installing structures, changing road materials, planting vegetation, or interfering with existing vegetation.

To perform any of the above-mentioned alterations, you must apply for a Section 221 Permit from the Council. This permit grants authorisation for the intended alterations.

If there's a street tree where you intend to work, note it on the application and provide its location on the sketch.

  • Property owners or occupants are not authorised to remove or relocate healthy or unwell public trees from Council land without prior discussion and written approval from Council.

Refer to Council's Tree Management Policy or contact them for guidance.

Please contact Council via email to for further information or call Customer Service on 8229 9999 and ask for assistance.

Property owners and contractors are responsible for any damage to Council assets. Council conducts surveys before and after work to reduce damage. Under the Local Government Act 1999, non-compliant works must be rectified by the property owner, and costs incurred by Council will be recovered.

Application Form

Are you the Property Owner? 
Contact details
Applicant details 
Is your postal address different from your property address?
Postal Address

Please complete if different to property address

Electrician's details

Site Contact number

Office address
Worksite details

Work Site Details

Site Address

Proposed Timings of Works

Does this application relate to a Development Application?  

Please note approval is granted subject to development application approval.

Details of work

Existing Footpath Surface 

any additional information relevant to your application

Please provide further details and a sketch of the proposed works including dimensions, boundaries, proposed works, materials, north arrow, property numbers, street names, kerb, trees, Stobie poles, parking controls, driveways and stormwater infrastructure.

To view an example of a sketch please click below in Related Documents.

public liability insurance Certificate of Currency in the sum of not less than TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS ($20,000,000)


Your browser does not support the Signature field

Contact Us