Skip to main content

Film companies, educational institutions, film studios, television stations, and the general public are welcome to use the City of Holdfast Bay's streets and reserves for media production. Before doing so, you may need to apply for a media production permit.

Do I need to complete a filming application?

You will need to complete a filming application if you are:

  • a commercial business or media production company.
  • a not-for-profit organisation.
  • a student of a media-related topic/course.

You will need to complete an event application if you are:

  • Conducting a major filming production and this application must be submitted at least six weeks prior to the filming date for the application to be considered.

Things to consider when applying

Road Closures and on-street parking spaces

Should you wish to close a road, street, or lane you will need to obtain the appropriate permission first.

Fees may apply, so please ensure that you fully disclose exactly what it is you’d like to do on your application. Alternatively, you may wish to use our Temporary Parking Controls to reserve spaces for your essential production vehicles. Feel free to contact us to discuss your requirements.


Terms and conditions apply to all filming applications and we recommend that you read these conditions thoroughly as they are enforceable.

Other conditions may apply depending on the nature of your activity.


Hire Fee $525 and a bond of $349

Please note: there is no permit fee for students and not-for-profit organisations, however, a bond may still apply.

Further fees may apply for items such as:

  • closing a road
  • taking out parking spaces
  • utilising infrastructure (such as water-filled barriers, setting up marquees).

Ready to apply?

All filming applications must be submitted a minimum of two weeks prior to the intended commencement date of your activity. Major film productions will need to complete an event application and this must be submitted a minimum of six (6) weeks prior to the intended commencement date of your activity.

Before you start filling in the online application, please have the following handy, as you will need to submit:

  • a description of the activity.
  • your proposed location(s).
  • a plan showing the setup of any infrastructure (if applicable).
  • contact details for the on-site representative.
  • a Certificate of Currency of your Public Liability Insurance with a minimum cover of $20 million.

Apply for a filming permit