Dogs & Pets
Justice of the Peace
Planning an Event
Do I need an event application approval?
Depending on the size and nature of the event you wish to stage, you may need to apply for event approval.
- Private events do not require event approval.
- Small, large and major events all require event approval.
- A private event has an approximate attendance of 40 people or less.
- Private events have no/or minimal infrastructure.
Examples of small private events may include a birthday party, wedding ceremony or social club gathering. All reserves are considered public spaces and as such, are free to use for private events. There are no hire fees for private events. However, you cannot be guaranteed the exclusive use of any space or public facility. We strongly advise you contact our Events team to check there are no other larger scale event bookings or maintenance works happening in the venue that you are planning on using.
The City of Holdfast Bay has many suitable locations for wedding ceremonies including beaches, reserves, foreshore areas and historic grounds. However, they cannot be booked for exclusive use for private functions as they are public areas. You are welcome to hold your ceremony at any of these locations, but you must be aware that there is a possibility that other individuals or groups may also be using the space.
Wedding parties are able to use the beaches, reserves and foreshore area for photographs. However as is the case with ceremonies, the area cannot be booked. Please note wedding vehicles are not permitted to drive onto beaches, reserves or the foreshore area for photographs.
- The City of Holdfast Bay hosts many events across the Council area which may impact your plans. Please check the latest What's on Calendar and note that it can change on a daily basis.
- If you want to use any of the foreshore areas it is recommended that you contact the relevant Surf Life SavingClubs to check their schedule of activities and events.
- Most of Councils beach, reserves and foreshore areas are dry zones, therefore serving and consuming alcohol is prohibited. For dry zone information, please contact the Liquor Licensing Officer on (08) 8229 9871.
- BBQs and permanent Gazebos located in our parks and reserves are free to use on a first come first served basis.
- Community Safety officers regularly patrol our parks and reserves in the City of Holdfast Bay. Vehicles that are illegally parked on the parks and reserves may be subject to an infringement notice.
- All litter resulting from any event must be removed from Council property and the area left in a clean and tidy condition.
- Partridge House is available for ceremonies and photographs. Bookings are essential. Please contact the venue on (08) 8294 5992.
- Kingston House is available for ceremonies and photographs. For further information, please contact the Kingston House answering service on (08) 8358 1666.
- The City of Holdfast Bay does not provide hire equipment for wedding ceremonies or events (i.e. PA systems, chairs, red carpet etc.).
- Any equipment supplier shall have and maintain for the period of the event, a policy of insurance against risks to the public in relation to the event. Depending on the equipment supplied for the event the Applicant may be asked to provide a copy of their suppliers Public Liability Insurance Certificate of Currency, (minimum $20 million).
You are permitted to set up the following for a small private event or wedding ceremony:
- Portable trestle tables.
- Wedding arch.
- Up to 40 Chairs.
- Shade tent may be erected and can be a maximum size of 3m x 3m and must be weighed down with sandbags or water containers. Please remove the tent shade as soon as the ceremony or event has concluded. Ground pegging is NOT permitted in any park or reserve.
- Fresh petals may be scattered.
The following items are NOT permitted:
- Marquees larger than 3m x 3m including bell tents
- Kettle BBQs (Charcoal)
- Gas heaters
- Open fires
- Vehicles are not permitted on any of the parks or reserves
The City of Holdfast Bay is unable to provide members of the public with access to electricity within its open spaces.
You are welcome to engage a food vendor for your private event. However, please note that the hirer must solely pay for their services and strictly no money is to be exchanged on the day. The vendor must not sell to the public and only provide coffee etc. to the guests of the event.
It is advised that you sight the provider’s public liability insurance certificate and their Food Business Notification Number. Please note that vendors must not drive on the grounds of the park or reserve but can pull into a parking space or park at a suitable place on the side of the closest road.
- Acoustic instruments and battery-operated PA Systems are permitted for use at wedding ceremonies only.
- Please note that the use of inflatable devices is restricted within the City of Holdfast Bay. We recommend you read carefully our Fact Sheet (see below). Additionally, we recommend that you request a copy of the public liability insurance and a current certificate of plant registration issued by SafeWork SA from the company that you are engaging to provide any type of amusement or inflatable structure. You must also advise the company that there is to be no pegging in to the grounds whatsoever and all structures must be secured using weights only. Please note that inflatables are not permitted on any of the foreshore reserves.
- If you wish to hire the services of a petting zoo, we recommend that you request a copy of the public liability insurance certificate from the company that you are engaging. Hand washing facilities must also be provided and all feces must be removed.
Small, Large and Major Events
- Small events – Attendance 40 to 200 people, with minimal infrastructure.
- Large events – Above 200 participants/spectators, with extensive infrastructure.
- Major events – Above 2,000 participants/spectators, with extensive infrastructure.
By submitting an event application, we can ensure that your event complies with the relevant legislation and regulation, and is undertaken in a compliant safe manner. It also allows the event organiser to secure the space and clarifies the responsibilities and liabilities of all parties.
Event Application Process
We recommend that you apply for your event approval as soon as possible and/or no later than 6 weeks prior to the event.The time it takes to process and approve your Event Application will depend on the complexity of the event and your ability to submit the required information. A large-scale event may take several months to assess, whereas a medium-scale event may only take a couple of weeks.
The event application will require you to submit the following documents:
- a completed event application.
- a copy of your Public Liability Insurance (for a minimum value of $20,000,000).
- a risk management plan.
- a site map.
- a completed COVID safe or COVID management plan.
Large and major events will also be required to submit:
- a program/schedule of the event.
- an Operations Manual.
If applicable, you may be asked to provide the following documents:
- Businesses and Residents Notification Letter.
- Liquor Licence.
- Traffic Management Plan.
- Certificate of Compliance for any electrical requirements in accordance to AS/NZS 3002.
- Any additional relevant documentation.
Once the application has been submitted with the relevant documentation, our Events Team will be in contact with you discuss the details of your event.
The submission of an application does not imply the event is confirmed.
It is a registration of interest only. This includes events that have previously occurred and events that have been held on an annual basis.
Once your approval has been granted, it provides the Applicant/Event Organiser exclusive use of the area, protecting the Applicant/Event Organiser against potential booking conflicts.
Individuals or groups deemed to present a nuisance or an obstruction to your event may be removed from the area. If you require assistance during the event for parking issues, access issues, or disruption to your event from other reserve users, please call Council’s Inspectors on (08) 8229 9999 (this call will be answered and actioned by an after-hours answering service).
The Event Approval is non-transferable and is only valid for the date and time specified.
To report any serious workplace accidents or incidents at your event, please contact SafeWork SA on 1800 777 209 (24 hour service) and advise Council that this call has been placed.
Council has the right to refuse the hire of any Council reserve or foreshore area at its discretion.
Such circumstances may include, but are not be limited to:
- Inadequate information or lead time to assess an application.
- Undesirable impacts on and likely inconvenience to the general public, local residents and businesses.
- Concerns from Council’s Event Management Team that the Applicant/Event Organiser does not have the resources and necessary experience to suitably manage the activity.
- Unpredictable and/or controversial aspects of a proposed event or conflicts with other events already approved for the area.
Failure to submit the required documentation by the deadlines and make payment of all fees will result in the cancellation of your approval.
Council will not accept any liability for loss, damage or any financial consequences as a result of the event application being cancelled or revoked.
Minimum Fee to cover administration costs (inc. GST)
|Hire (incl. GST)||$509|
Small Recreational Event
|Hire (incl. GST)||$667|
Large Recreational Event
|Hire (incl. GST)||$1,929|
|Hire (incl. GST)||$2,604|
|Low Impact Event||From $2,800/week
(or part thereof)
|High Impact Event||From $3,500/week
(or part thereof)
|Bond||Subject to Event|
|Subject to Event|
Grass Remediation Levy
|Subject to Event|
Event Bin Hire
Hire of Glenelg Jetty
|4 Hour Hire (incl. GST)||$732|
|Full Day Hire Hire (incl. GST)||$1,764|
Conditions of Hire
- Hire and Bond Fees may change without notice.
- Fees may vary depending on event requirements.
- Bonds are charged to cover any damage which may occur from holding an event.
- If the venue is returned in the same condition it was supplied, the bond will be returned within 4 weeks of the event completion date.
- Bonds may be held and additional charges incurred if significant damage has occurred throughout the event.
- The applicant is held responsible and accountable for any additional fees incurred and invoices MUST be paid in line with our terms.