Dogs & Pets
Justice of the Peace
Planning an Event
The City of Holdfast Bay, with its stunning sandy beaches and various parks and reserves, is a very popular spot for anyone wishing to organise a private event or a wedding. Different rules apply to those events and it is essential you are aware of all of them before you start planning.
A private event meets the following requirements:
- Has an approximate attendance of 40 people or less.
- Has no/or minimal infrastructure.
- Examples of small private events may include a birthday party, wedding ceremony or social club gathering.
If you are unsure whether your event qualifies as a private event, please contact the Events Team.
Event Permit Requirements
Please note that private events and weddings do not require a formal event approval. In the City of Holdfast Bay, all reserves are considered public spaces and as such, hire fees are not applicable. However, it is important to note that you cannot be guaranteed the exclusive use of any space or public facility.
Wedding parties are also able to use the beaches, reserves and foreshore area for photographs without requiring a formal approval. However, as is the case with ceremonies, the area cannot be booked. Please note wedding vehicles are not permitted to drive onto beaches, reserves or the foreshore area for photographs.
It is strongly advised that you contact the Events Team, before you start planning your event, to ensure that there are no other larger scale event bookings or maintenance works happening in the venue that you are planning on using.
Additionally, we encourage you to check the latest What's on Calendar and note that it can change on a daily basis. For any of the foreshore areas, it is recommended that you contact the relevant Surf Life Saving Clubs to check their schedule of activities and events.
The City of Holdfast Bay does not provide hire equipment for wedding ceremonies or events (i.e. PA systems, chairs, red carpet etc.).
If you are using the services of an external equipment supplier, we recommend that you ask them to provide a copy of their Public Liability Insurance Certificate of Currency (minimum $20 million).
What can I bring?
You are permitted to set up the following for a small private event or wedding ceremony:
- Portable trestle tables.
- Wedding arch.
- Up to 40 Chairs.
- Shade tent may be erected and can be a maximum size of 3m x 3m and must be weighed down with sandbags or water containers. Please remove the tent shade as soon as the ceremony or event has concluded. Ground pegging is NOT permitted in any park or reserve.
- Fresh petals may be scattered.
What is not allowed?
The following items are not permitted:
- Marquees larger than 3m x 3m (including bell tents)
- Kettle BBQs (charcoal)
- Gas heaters
- Open fires
- Vehicles are not permitted on any of the parks or reserves.
You are welcome to engage a food vendor for your private event or wedding. However, please note that the hirer must solely pay for their services and strictly no money is to be exchanged on the day. The vendor must not sell to the public and only provide coffee etc. to the guests of the event.
It is advised that you sight the provider’s public liability insurance certificate and their Food Business Notification Number. Please note that vendors must not drive on the grounds of the park or reserve but can pull into a parking space or park at a suitable place on the side of the closest road.
Entertainment and Power
Acoustic instruments and battery-operated PA Systems are permitted for use at wedding ceremonies only.
However, please note that the City of Holdfast Bay is unable to provide members of the public with access to electricity within its open spaces.
Please note that the use of inflatable devices is restricted within the City of Holdfast Bay. We recommend you read carefully our Fact Sheet (see below). Additionally, we recommend that you request a copy of the public liability insurance and a current certificate of plant registration issued by SafeWork SA from the company that you are engaging to provide any type of amusement or inflatable structure. You must also advise the company that there is to be no pegging in to the grounds whatsoever and all structures must be secured using weights only. Please note that inflatables are not permitted on any of the foreshore reserves.
If you wish to hire the services of a petting zoo, we recommend that you request a copy of the public liability insurance certificate from the company that you are engaging. Hand washing facilities must also be provided and all feces must be removed.
- BBQs and permanent Gazebos located in our parks and reserves are free to use on a first come first served basis.
- Community Safety officers regularly patrol our parks and reserves. Vehicles that are illegally parked on the parks and reserves may be subject to an infringement notice.
- All litter resulting from any event must be removed from Council property and the area left in a clean and tidy condition.
- Most of Councils beach, reserves and foreshore areas are dry zones, therefore serving and consuming alcohol is prohibited. For dry zone information, please contact the Liquor Licensing Officer on (08) 8229 9871.
- Partridge House is available for ceremonies and photographs. For further information and bookings see below.
- Kingston House is available for ceremonies and photographs. For further information and bookings, please contact the Kingston House answering service on (08) 8358 1666.
Private Street Party Application
A Street Party is a great way to get to know your neighbours better, provide opportunities for play, make new friends and celebrate a special occasion.
Keep it simple! Street parties don't require lots of set up. Think BBQ's, games, chairs and tables.
Public liability insurance needs to be obtained from the applicant's insurer. The type of insurance that is required for a private street party is called Event Public & Products Liability- Community Fairs and Festivals, Event - Residential Street Party. Council understands that this does come at an additional cost and therefore you can apply for a Community Chest Donation. The purpose of the Community Chest Donations are small 'one off' payments to assist individuals and organisations within the Council area with costs associated with community development initiatives such as: small community events and projects that will have benefits to the surrounding community. For more information see below.
The applicant is responsible for any damage caused to council property which results in the staging of the street party.
The applicant is responsible for the safety of the participants at all times. Council will not accept liability for any personal injury, loss or damage that may occur to participants or third parties or their property as a result of the street party.
Our qualified council staff will organise the installation and removal of the road closure signage and any additional administration work that this involves.