We support and encourage local groups involved with Community Gardening in our community. Community Gardening is a valuable activity, contributing to the sustainability and well-being of the wider community and providing an extensive range of environmental, social, recreational, health and educational benefits.
- What is a Community Garden?
- Benefits of Community Gardens
- Community Gardens Application Form
- Community Gardens Located in the City of Holdfast Bay
- Further Information
- Active Communities Mailing List
A Community Garden is an open space, managed by the community with the primary focus of producing food and contributing to the growth of a sustainable city environment. It is a place for learning and sharing about sustainable living practices whilst actively building community through shared activities and contributing to improved health and wellbeing.
Community gardens offer a range of benefits to local residents including:
- access to fresh, nutritious food
- sense of achievement from growing your own food
- making friends and being part of a group
- learning gardening skills alongside others
- learning about shared decision making
- getting outdoor exercise
- building a sense of community
- increasing connection to the environment
- increasing food security
Please use this form if you are applying to use council land for a community garden. This is not a funding application form.
An important first step is to read the Community Garden Guidelines and the two-page leaflet, Information for Applicants. Please arrange a meeting to discuss your proposal with a Council Officer before submitting your completed Application Form to:
Active Communities Team
City of Holdfast Bay
PO Box 19
Brighton SA 5048
Glenelg North Community Garden
Glenelg North SA 5045
Contact: Pam Sando: 0458 422 944
For further information on community gardens, please contact:
Community and Youth Development Officer
Phone: (08) 8229 9999
Click here to join our Active Communities Mailing List to be notified when there are exciting activities and events coming up in your interest areas.