How we are responding to COVID-19 (coronavirus)
Find out more
Skip to main content

We offer one free hard rubbish collection per financial year to to residents of the City of Holdfast Bay for items that are too large to dispose of via the domestic three bin system. This now includes the collection and recycling of mattresses and e-waste.

What items can go in Hard Rubbish?
  • Furniture
  • Electronic Waste (TVs, computers, printers, phones, DVD & VCR players, stereos, iPods etc.).
  • Mattresses
  • Refrigerators and freezers (for safety reasons please remove doors)
  • White goods
  • Floor coverings (up to 1.5metre lengths)
  • Sheets of iron and guttering (up to 1.5metre lengths)
  • Timber off-cuts (up to 1.5metre lengths)
  • Dismantled clothes lines
  • Blinds and window covers
  • Bikes and toys
  • Air-conditioners
  • Unbroken glass and shower screens
  • Small items of scrap metal
  • Hot water services
  • Lawn mowers
  • Rainwater tanks (segments no larger than 1.5 metre lengths)
Illegal Dumping

Placing hard waste on footpaths and kerbs during times when it is not scheduled is illegal. People caught doing this may be subjected to an on-the-spot fine of $315, or a maximum penalty of $5,000 if legal action is pursued.

How much can I put out?

Residents are entitled to place out up to 2 cubic metres (2m X 1m X 1m). It is your responsibility to ensure that the hard waste outside your property is placed and maintained safely until collected - even if it is moved by other people.

  • Put your waste out the night before it is due for collection - no sooner
  • Leave plenty of room on the footpath for people to walk past
  • Don't leave anything sharp or hazardous on the footpath
  • Remove all doors from fridges and freezers
  • Don't stack your waste too high
  • Lie taller items down (e.g. wardrobes)
How do I book a collection?

Simply call our waste contractor on (08) 8295 5077 to book in your collection, or book waste collection here.

Please note that as this is a popular council service, a wait of up to 4 weeks can sometimes apply. To avoid disappointment we recommend booking a collection as soon as it is known that one is required

Payments for a second collection can be made by calling (08) 8229 9999 or in person at the Brighton Civic Centre or Glenelg Library. Pensioners must show proof of ID

What can't go in hard rubbish?
  • Bricks, pavers, concrete and building materials
  • Green organics waste (e.g. pruning's, grass clippings, leaves and weeds)
  • Wooden pallets
  • Motor vehicle tyres
  • Items too heavy for two people to lift (e.g. water softeners)
  • Batteries
  • Paints
  • Ammunition, explosives or flares
  • Asbestos
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Motor oil
  • Gas bottles
  • Any liquids
  • Chemicals
  • Car parts (e.g. gear boxes, engine blocks and panels)
What if I cannot get the hard rubbish to the kerb?

If you are a frail older person or have a physical disability, please contact the Home Maintenance team on (08) 8229 9999 for more information.

Where can I get further information on hard rubbish collection?

For further information on our at-call hard waste collection, please contact council on (08) 8229 9999.

What do I do with tricky items that can't go in Hard Rubbish?

Our Tricky Waste brochure details what to do with some of the above unaccepted items.

Temporary Rubbish Disposal Unit on a Footpath or a Road

If you require a temporary skip to be placed on the road, please complete in the below application