Dogs & cats
Justice of the Peace
Planning an Event
We offer one free hard rubbish collection per financial year to to residents of the City of Holdfast Bay for items that are too large to dispose of via the domestic three bin system. This includes the collection and recycling of mattresses and e-waste.
- Electronic Waste (TVs, computers, printers, phones, DVD & VCR players, stereos, iPods etc.).
- Refrigerators and freezers (for safety reasons please remove doors)
- White goods
- Floor coverings (up to 1.5 metre lengths)
- Sheets of iron and guttering (up to 1.5 metre lengths)
- Timber off-cuts (up to 1.5 metre lengths)
- Dismantled clothes lines
- Blinds and window covers
- Bikes and toys
- Unbroken glass and shower screens
- Small items of scrap metal
- Hot water services
- Lawn mowers
- Rainwater tanks (segments no larger than 1.5 metre lengths)
Placing hard waste on footpaths and kerbs during times when it is not scheduled is illegal. People caught doing this may be subjected to an on-the-spot fine of $315, or a maximum penalty of $5,000 if legal action is pursued.
Residents are entitled to place out up to 2 cubic metres (2m X 1m X 1m). It is your responsibility to ensure that the hard waste outside your property is placed and maintained safely until collected - even if it is moved by other people.
- Put your waste out the night before it is due for collection - no sooner
- Leave plenty of room on the footpath for people to walk past
- Don't leave anything sharp or hazardous on the footpath
- Remove all doors from fridges and freezers
- Don't stack your waste too high
- Lie taller items down (e.g. wardrobes)
How do I book a collection?
Contact our waste contractor, Solo Resource Recovery by phone or using the online booking system (see below)
Please note that as this is a popular council service, a wait of up to four weeks can sometimes apply. To avoid disappointment we recommend booking a collection as soon as it is known that one is required
Payments for a second collection can be made by calling (08) 8229 9999 or in person at the Brighton Civic Centre or Glenelg Library. Pensioners must show proof of ID.
Discount disposal rate for hard rubbish and garden organics at Adelaide Waste and Recycling Centre - North Plympton
City of Holdfast Bay residents are eligible for a discounted rate for the disposal of 6 X 4 trailer loads of both garden waste and mixed waste at Adelaide Waste and Recycling Centre (181 Morphett Road, North Plympton). Simply show proof of residency upon arrival at the weighbridge and the following discounts will apply;
6 X 4 heaped trailer load of garden waste up to 300kg - $40 (discount of $15)
6 X 4 heaped trailer load of mixed waste up to 300kg - $80 (discount of $10)
- Bricks, pavers, concrete and building materials
- Green organics waste (e.g. pruning's, grass clippings, leaves and weeds)
- Wooden pallets
- Motor vehicle tyres
- Items too heavy for two people to lift (e.g. water softeners)
- Ammunition, explosives or flares
- Fire extinguishers
- Motor oil
- Gas bottles
- Any liquids
- Car parts (e.g. gear boxes, engine blocks and panels)
For further information on our at-call hard waste collection, please contact council on (08) 8229 9999.
Our Tricky Waste brochure details what to do with some of the above unaccepted items.
Temporary Rubbish Disposal Unit on a Footpath or a Road
If you require a temporary skip to be placed on the road, please complete in the below application