How we are responding to COVID-19 (coronavirus)
Find out more
Skip to main content

New Food Businesses

A food business must notify Council of their food handling operations by providing their business contact details on the food business notification form.
Notification is required 14 days prior to opening and is only required once, unless your business details change.

Once your notification is received, a pre-opening inspection of your business can be arranged (free of charge) to assist the owner with design/ layout advice and food safety requirements (see guidelines below).

Home Based Food Businesses can apply to Council for approval using the home based food business form.

Mobile Food Vendors

There are two types of permits available:

  • Annual Event Mobile Food Vendor Permit $214 (for trading at events only).
  • City Mobile Food Vendor Permit $200/month or $2000/year (for trading at events AND at designated areas in the Holdfast Bay area).
    NOTE: The permit application form includes a map of all designated areas.

To apply for either of those permits, please complete the food permit form below.

Free Food Safety Training and Information

The Food Act 2001 and associated Food Safety Standards place obligations on Australian food businesses to produce food that is safe and suitable to eat.

I'm Alert is a free online training tool to help food businesses make sure that food is suitable and safe. The program is equivalent to a two-day consultant delivered course. On completion, a training acknowledgement form can be printed for your staff records.

DoFoodSafely is another free online training tool. The program is now available in Vietnamese, Arabic and simplified Chinese. It can be accessed in different languages by using the drop down arrow in the top right hand corner.

Food Safety Rating Scheme

We participate in the voluntary State-wide Food Safety Rating Scheme.

Its purpose is to inform consumers about how well a food business complies with the Food Safety Standards at the time of their unannounced routine inspection by providing a score, in the form of stars, for businesses to display at their discretion.

  • 5 stars = Excellent.
  • 4 stars = Very Good.
  • 3 stars = Good.

Businesses who receive a rating of less than 3 stars are not eligible for a Star Rating.

Certificates are awarded after a routine inspection by one of Council’s Environmental Health Officers has been undertaken, and any non-compliance matters are rectified. It is important to recognise that it is optional for a business to display their rating and only food service businesses such as hotels, restaurants, cafes, take-away shops, hotels and retail bakeries are eligible to participate in the Scheme at this stage.

Further information regarding the Scheme, including supporting documentation and contact details, can be located on the SA Health Food Safety Rating Scheme website below:

Food Complaints

Our Environmental Health Officers work with food businesses to advise and educate food handlers on the correct way of handling food and keeping food safe and suitable.

Should you have any complaints or questions related to food or food premises, please contact our Environmental Health Department on (08) 8229 9999.

Foreign Objects

Should you find a foreign object in your food, it is important that you keep it with the food, and store it in a safe place (freezing is recommended). Keep the receipt if possible.

Food Poisoning

Symptoms of food borne illness may include diarrhoea, vomiting, fever, sore throat with fever and jaundice.

If you experience these symptoms, you should see a doctor for immediate medical attention. Ask your doctor to take a specimen sample which will then be sent to a laboratory for analysis.