Dogs & Cats
Justice of the Peace
Planning an Event
Event Application Process
Depending on the size and nature of the event you wish to stage, you may need to apply for event approval.
- Private events do not require event approval.
- Small, large and major events all require event approval.
By submitting an event application, we can ensure that your event complies with the relevant legislation and regulation, and is undertaken in a compliant safe manner. It also allows the event organiser to secure the space and clarifies the responsibilities and liabilities of all parties.
We recommend that you apply for your event approval as soon as possible and/or no later than 6 weeks prior to the event. The time it takes to process and approve your Event Application will depend on the complexity of the event and your ability to submit the required information. A large-scale event may take several months to assess, whereas a medium-scale event may only take a couple of weeks.
- Small events – Attendance 40 to 200 people, with minimal infrastructure.
- Large events – Above 200 participants/spectators, with extensive infrastructure.
- Major events – Above 2,000 participants/spectators, with extensive infrastructure.
The event application will require you to submit the following documents:
- a completed event application.
- a copy of your Public Liability Insurance (for a minimum value of $20,000,000).
- a risk management plan.
- a site map.
- a completed COVID safe or COVID management plan.
Large and major events will also be required to submit:
- a program/schedule of the event.
- an Operations Manual.
If applicable, you may be asked to provide the following documents:
- Businesses and Residents Notification Letter.
- Liquor Licence.
- Traffic Management Plan.
- Certificate of Compliance for any electrical requirements in accordance to AS/NZS 3002.
- Any additional relevant documentation.
Once the application has been submitted with the relevant documentation, our Events Team will be in contact with you discuss the details of your event.
The submission of an application does not imply the event is confirmed.
It is a registration of interest only. This includes events that have previously occurred and events that have been held on an annual basis.
Once your approval has been granted, it provides the Applicant/Event Organiser exclusive use of the area, protecting the Applicant/Event Organiser against potential booking conflicts.
Individuals or groups deemed to present a nuisance or an obstruction to your event may be removed from the area. If you require assistance during the event for parking issues, access issues, or disruption to your event from other reserve users, please call a community safety officer on (08) 8229 9999 (this call will be may be actioned by an after-hours answering service).
The Event Approval is non-transferable and is only valid for the date and time specified.
To report any serious workplace accidents or incidents at your event, please contact SafeWork SA on 1800 777 209 (24 hour service) and advise council that this call has been placed.
Council has the right to refuse the hire of any council reserve or foreshore area at its discretion.
Such circumstances may include, but are not be limited to:
- Inadequate information or lead time to assess an application.
- Undesirable impacts on and likely inconvenience to the general public, local residents and businesses.
- Concerns from council’s Event Management Team that the Applicant/Event Organiser does not have the resources and necessary experience to suitably manage the activity.
- Unpredictable and/or controversial aspects of a proposed event or conflicts with other events already approved for the area.
Failure to submit the required documentation by the deadlines and make payment of all fees will result in the cancellation of your approval.
Council will not accept any liability for loss, damage or any financial consequences as a result of the event application being cancelled or revoked.
Minimum Fee to cover administration costs (inc. GST)
|Hire (incl. GST)||$514|
Small Recreational Event
|Hire (incl. GST)||$674|
Large Recreational Event
|Hire (incl. GST)||$1,948|
|Hire (incl. GST)||$2,630|
|Low Impact Event||From $2,800/week
(or part thereof)
|High Impact Event||From $3,500/week
(or part thereof)
|Bond||Subject to Event|
|Subject to Event|
Grass Remediation Levy
|Subject to Event|
Event Bin Hire
Hire of Glenelg Jetty
|4 Hour Hire (incl. GST)||$739|
|Full Day Hire Hire (incl. GST)||$1,782|
Conditions of Hire
- Hire and Bond Fees may change without notice.
- Fees may vary depending on event requirements.
- Bonds are charged to cover any damage which may occur from holding an event.
- If the venue is returned in the same condition it was supplied, the bond will be returned within 4 weeks of the event completion date.
- Bonds may be held and additional charges incurred if significant damage has occurred throughout the event.
- The applicant is held responsible and accountable for any additional fees incurred and invoices MUST be paid in line with our terms.