Skip to main content

Soward's Villa

Location:
62 Moseley Street, Glenelg South SA, Australia

On the eastern side of Moseley Street, Soward’s Villa, originally a home of ten rooms was built by, and for architect and former Mayor of Glenelg George Klewitz Soward in 1887.

Soward's Villa

Location

Soward married Emma Beare in 1879, the daughter of William Loose Beare, who arrived on the first of the colonising ships to reach Kangaroo Island. On the northern side, above the front door of the home, appears a moulding of the Beare family crest which includes the motto ‘Bear and Forbear’. Soward’s catalogue of design in Glenelg is impressive and includes many of the stops on this walk: Stormont, Kilwinning Flats, and Alexandra Terrace. Leading an active public life, Soward was chairman of the Charitable Funds Commission, a governor of the Public Library, Museum, and Art Gallery of South Australia, and president of the Glenelg Institute and Glenelg Cricket Club, and Mayor of Glenelg from 1895 to 1898.

Historical Places Nearby