Skip to main content

Partridge House

Location:
38 Partridge Street, Glenelg SA, Australia

The land at 38 Partridge Street was purchased in 1839 by Mrs. Elinor Varley and a home was built by 1899.

Partridge House

Location

Architects English, Soward, and Jackson designed the house originally of 18 rooms and outhouses. Charles Grant Varley occupied the house until January 1902, when Elinor died. The Thomas family, Mary (Maisie) Harriet and Evan Kyffin, moved in soon after. From 1912 to 1973 the house was owned by Pastoralist H. P. McLachlan and his sons. On 10 April 1973, Glenelg Council purchased the property saving it from demolition. Today the City of Holdfast Bay hires out the house to community groups and for private functions. The gardens are open to the public daily and feature the Townsend Drinking Fountain, gifted to Council in 1877.

Historical Places Nearby