Bay Discovery Centre
Aboriginal Culture & Heritage
Parks, Reserves and Beaches
Walking & Bike Trails
History & Culture
Places to Visit
Getting Here & Around
Expressions of Interest (EOI) are now open for our 2024-2025 Exhibition Program. Applications close 30 June 2023.
Based in the heart of Moseley Square in Glenelg’s Old Town Hall, The Bay Discovery Centre (BDC) encompasses a Visitor Information Outlet, social history museum, and ground floor and mezzanine galleries.
Applications to exhibit are encouraged from:
- Established and mid-career artists.
- Emerging artists.
- Community groups wishing to display artwork.
- Community members wishing to display with other local artists.
- Community groups who wish to share small stories or celebrate significant occasions through the creation of a history-based exhibition.
The BDC considers each application on its own merit. Submission of an EOI does not guarantee display within the gallery. Note that the Centre receives a high volume of requests and applications will be considered based on a balanced exhibition program.
The selection criteria will be based upon:
- Diversity of art forms, artists, and exhibition concepts, to achieve a varied annual exhibition program;
- Suitability for the location including audience accessibility (this can include technical or technological restrictions);
- Quality or artistic merit of the artwork (based on images supplied by the applicant);
- Amount of artworks or artifacts proposed for display;
- Presentation of a coherent and relevant (i.e. historical relevance) body of work suitable for exhibition;
- Experience of the artist, based on the applicant’s Curriculum Vitae (CV); and
- Proposed exhibition concept or theme, taking into consideration BDC's vision and mission and Council’s Arts & Culture Policy.
The BDC Temporary Exhibitions Selection Panel reserves the right to reject any artwork or exhibition proposal in line with the selection criteria and Council’s Arts & Culture Strategy. Successful exhibitors will be notified by telephone and confirmed in writing within four weeks of submissions closing.
Gallery hire options, along with the fee structure have been designed to maximise accessibility and offer a range of options to our community.
- Council generated/BDC invited artist(s)/group - As agreed.
- Local Community Groups or individual* - $210.00 for up to 6 weeks.
- Non Local Group or individual - $410.00 for up to 6 weeks.
Main Floor Gallery
The centre comprises a large ground floor exhibition space (approx. 50 running metres) ideally suited to a large solo or group exhibition; sculptural works would also be suited to the space.
- Hire of nominated gallery area for up to four weeks.
- Design and print of 200 DL hardcopy flyers.
- Advertising via the City of Holdfast Bay website and social media pages and BDC Facebook at discretion of the BDC Curator.
- Exhibition installation management (artists/groups are expected to assist with the installation but the final decision on placement of artworks/artefacts/interpretation rests with the Curator).
- Installation Costs.
- Security of Artworks whilst on display.
- Cleaning of exhibition space.
- Staffing during exhibition opening hours.
- The date and time of the launch must be negotiated with and agreed upon by the BDC Curator.
- Design and supply of DL electronic invitation.
- Staffing during exhibition launch.
- If required, PA system for launch.
Works may be for sale at the artist’s discretion. An invoice must be provided to the Bay Discovery Centre at the close of the exhibition if works are sold. The City of Holdfast Bay will provide the artist the price paid by the buyer for the sold work, less the commission of 30% of the retail price of the work, plus Goods and Services Tax (GST) on top of the commission.
The centre caters to local community groups with our small and intimate Mezzanine Gallery. Located within the museum, this space is ideal for Historical Societies and groups wanting to share small stories or celebrate significant occasions or events by creating a display. As the mezzanine space is rotated less frequently, there is an opportunity for your group to display within the museum for up to 12 months, with a minimum of 6 months.
Your group will be expected to work alongside our Assistant Curator, who will negotiate further details if your application is accepted.
- Transport and insurance of works when in transit.
- Catering, including beverages and food for opening.
- If required, completion of short-term Liquor License application and payment of a fee.
- Any alterations to the walls or building must be made good on completion of the exhibition.
If a launch is required, details and costs will be negotiated with the Assistant Curator including date and time.
Please ensure you have the following ready to upload before completing the form:
- Up to six images of artwork must have at least two (under 3MB, jpeg, or png).
- Estimation of artwork value for insurance purposes.
- List of works to be displayed (PDF).