Australia Day Awards
Recreation & Sport
Brighton Oval is the largest sporting hub within the City of Holdfast Bay and is located on Brighton Road at Hove. The complex consists of three major sporting grounds and three new purpose-built buildings which serve as clubrooms and community spaces that are available for hire.
- Civil works along Highet Avenue are now complete. This includes widening of the road to accommodate indented parallel parking and improved pedestrian access.
- New picket fencing around the football/cricket oval.
- New public waste bins and dog poo bag dispensers have been installed across the complex.
- New Lacrosse safety netting is complete.
- Brighton Oval Open Day is planned for April 2021...watch this space for updates.
Brighton Oval is being redeveloped at a cost of $13.7 million and funded through major commitments by:
- The City of Holdfast Bay - $6.7 million
- Federal Government - $5 million
- State Government - $2 million
- Australian Football League - $75,000
- Cricket Australia - $40,000
The redevelopment commenced in June 2019, with the construction of the three new clubroom buildings. The full redevelopment of Brighton Oval, which includes improved community spaces, a new playspace, shelters, seating and carparks is due for completion by Autumn 2021.
The new complex was designed to reflect a rich history of community sport, participation and connection. It was also built on the following initiatives that achieve:
- Modern facilities for the whole community to use and enjoy
- Increased participation across all sporting codes
- Accessible unisex facilities
- Increased level of community involvement
- A safe and welcoming environment for all
- Significant economic, social and health benefits for the wider community
The redeveloped Brighton Oval Sporting Complex provides high quality sports and recreational facilities for the community.
This includes three brand new, purpose-built community buildings which are currently leased by 4 sports clubs and are available for hire.
In addition, there are improved community spaces, a 3x3 basketball court, revamped skatepark, picnic tables, seating and shelters. As part of the redevelopment, there will be an upgrade to the children’s playspace and more than 300 off-street carparks.
The complex is situated close to public transport, with bus stops on Brighton Road. The nearest train station is located approximately 500 metres north from Brighton Oval, along Brighton Road.
There are various locations on site for parking, although during game days, this can reach capacity quickly.