Alwyndor - Aged Care
Grants and Donations
Australia Day Awards
Recreation & Sport
Brighton Oval is the largest sporting hub within the City of Holdfast Bay and is located on Brighton Road at Hove. The complex consists of three major sporting grounds and three new purpose-built buildings which serve as clubrooms and community spaces that are available for hire.
- The Brighton Oval Stage 1 construction program is complete with the official opening of the clubrooms taking place on 15 September 2020.
- Three new LED scoreboards have been installed.
- The practice wickets facility is now complete and handed over to the Brighton Cricket Club.
- Contract for the remainder of Stage 2 civil works (construction of remaining access roads, carparks, footpaths, draining, further landscaping and warm-up area) has been awarded to Outside Ideas.
- Stage 2 works is scheduled to be completed by the end of December 2020.
- Existing playground equipment has been removed to allow for works to continue at the northern end of the oval and that the new Gladys Mathwin Memorial Playspace is due to be completed in November 2020.
Please note: Access to the Lacrosse and Brighton Sports and Social Club are currently restricted due to Stage 2 construction works.
Brighton Oval is being redeveloped at a cost of $13.7 million and funded through major commitments by:
- The City of Holdfast Bay - $6.7 million
- Federal Government - $5 million
- State Government - $2 million
- Australian Football League - $75,000
- Cricket Australia - $40,000
The redevelopment commenced in June 2019, with the construction of the three new clubroom buildings. The full redevelopment of Brighton Oval, which includes improved community spaces, a new playspace, shelters, seating and carparks is due for completion by Autumn 2021.
The new complex was designed to reflect a rich history of community sport, participation and connection. It was also built on the following initiatives that achieve:
- Modern facilities for the whole community to use and enjoy
- Increased participation across all sporting codes
- Accessible unisex facilities
- Increased level of community involvement
- A safe and welcoming environment for all
- Significant economic, social and health benefits for the wider community
The redeveloped Brighton Oval Sporting Complex provides high quality sports and recreational facilities for the community.
This includes three brand new, purpose-built community buildings which are currently leased by 4 sports clubs and are available for hire.
In addition, there are improved community spaces, a 3x3 basketball court, revamped skatepark, picnic tables, seating and shelters. As part of the redevelopment, there will be an upgrade to the children’s playspace and more than 300 off-street carparks.
The complex is situated close to public transport, with bus stops on Brighton Road. The nearest train station is located approximately 500 metres north from Brighton Oval, along Brighton Road.
There are various locations on site for parking, although during game days, this can reach capacity quickly.