Skip to main content
Open Mobile MenuCall Us


About Local Government Elections


Councils are part of the democratic framework of Australia. The community elects their Council Members every four years and the next general election happens in 2018. With nearly 360,000 people voting in 2014 state wide, Council elections are the biggest single voluntary civic participation activity in the State. Information about the 2018 Council elections can be found on this page:

Under the Local Government (Elections) Act, the Electoral Commissioner of SA (ECSA) is the returning officer for all Council elections. Find ECSA information here:

Enrolling to vote

The voters’ roll for council elections consists of two components – the House of Assembly (State) roll, and the council supplementary roll.

If you are on the House of Assembly roll you will automatically receive a voting pack mailed to your registered address.

If you have moved house or changed your name, you need to complete a new enrolment form, available at your local Post Office or Electoral Commission of SA by clicking here enrol for council elections

If you are not enrolled on the House of Assembly roll you may be eligible to register on the council supplementary roll if:

  • You have been resident at your current address for one month and are not on the State Electoral Roll
  • You are a sole owner/occupier of rateable property
  • You are NOT an Australian Citizen but you have been a resident at your current address for one month
  • You are a landlord for rateable property
  • You are an organisation/business owner or occupier of rateable property
  • You are a group of owners or occupiers of rateable property

However if you are a landlord, business lessee or resident non - Australian citizen and you wish to vote in Council elections you must enrol by completing an enrolment form available below.

Enrolment for the 2018 council elections closes at 5pm on Friday 10 August 2018.

Resident not on the State Electoral roll or a Sole Owner or Sole Occupier 

Use this Application for Enrolment when owner or occupier is a person.
Form 1 - Natural Person: Resident, Sole Owner or Sole Occupier(426 kb)


Business or Organisation, Sole Owner or Occupier 

Use this Application for Enrolment for a Body Corporate, a designated person is required to vote on behalf of the Body Corporate.
Form 2 - Body Corporate: Sole Owner or Sole Occupier(430 kb)



Group of Owners or Occupiers 

Use this Application for Enrolment for property owned or occupied by more than one person and/or a business/organisation. A designated person is required to vote on behalf of the Group.
Form 3: Group Owners or Group Occupiers(535 kb)


Further Information

If you are unsure whether you are on the Council voters roll, Contact our Rates Department on 8229 9999.


The Council area is divided into four wards, with three Councillors representing each ward. Ward boundaries are reviewed periodically or when the number of electors per ward varies by more than 20% from other wards. 

Click here for more information about the City of Holdfast Bay Wards

Nominating as a candidate for election

Most people who are on the council voters roll can stand for election.

Becoming a councillor is one of the most direct ways that you can influence decisions that affect the quality of life in your local area.

If you are interested in representing the people of your community on council, the Electoral Commission of SA and the LGA(SA) provide a range of resources to help you understand the role and responsibilities of being a councillor.

The updated resources will be available in early 2018.

It is important to note that there may be changes to this information as a result of pending changes to the Local Government Act 1999 and the Local Government Elections Act 1999. The 2014 information should be read for background information only. 

The council will run an information seminar for candidates during August 2018. Details will be available on this website and in the council’s messenger column. 

Nomination process

Nominations for the 2018 local government elections open Tuesday 4 September 2018 and close Tuesday 18 September 2018 at 12 noon. During this time, you must complete and lodge a nomination form which is available from you council and other advertised locations.

You will also be asked to lodge a 150-word candidate profile and a ‘head shoulders’ photograph which will be published on a candidates’ website.

You should refer to the 2018 candidate resources for more information about the nomination process and requirements once they become available in early 2018.

2018 Councils Elections timetable
  • Roll close
  • 5pm Fri 10 Aug 2018                        
  • Nominations Open
  • Tues 4 Sept 2018
  • Nominations Close
  • 12 noon Tues 18 Sept 2018
  • Mail out of voting materials
  • Mon 22 - Fri 26 Oct 2018
  • Close of voting 
  • 5pm Fri 9 Nov 2018

Election Signs

These Guidelines operate to provide a general approval to authorise the placement or affixation of moveable signs, advertising candidates for election, on a road or onto infrastructure on a road.

A moveable sign may be placed on a road at any time without the permission of the council provided that it complies with the council’s by-laws (section 226(1) of the Local Government Act).

Signs such as corflutes that are advertising candidates for election and which do not comply with council’s by-laws, may be placed on a road without the Council’s permission provided that: the sign is related to a State or Commonwealth election and is displayed during the period commencing at 5pm on 16 February 2018 and ending at the close of polls on polling day.

To download a copy of the election signs guidelines please click here.

Authorised by: Justin Lynch, 24 Jetty Road Brighton SA 5048

Back to top