We provide information on the following topics that will be helpful to you, to serve food that is safe:
- Food Business Notification
- Home Based Food Businesses
- I’m Alert - (free) food safety training
- Food Safety Information Pack
- Food Safety During a Prolonged Power Failure
- Food Complaint — Foreign object in food
- Food Complaint — Food Poisoning
- Food Safety Rating Scheme
- Markets and Events
If you are setting up a new food business, you must complete and return this form before you start trading:
If you are setting up a home based food business: Home Base Food Business(410 kb)
To obtain a Food Safety Information Kit, submit a request by E-mail to: email@example.com or call 82299999
The Information Kit contains:
- food safety advice;
- a Food Safety Training CD;
- Fact Sheets; and,
If you would like guidance on developing a Power Failure Action Plan: Power Failure and Food Safety(327 kb)
If you discover a foreign object in food that you purchased —
- Do not remove the object.
- Do not give the object to the retailer (important).
- Wrap the remaining food in the original wrapping or plastic film (Gladwrap).
- If the food is perishable, place it in the ‘fridge or freezer.
- Keep the receipt (important).
- Record the following:
6.1. the date/time of purchase
6.2. the name of the store
6.3. where the food was stored when it was brought home
6.4. the circumstances of how the object was found — Who? When? How?
6.5. details of people who may have eaten the food.
If you believe you are affected by food poisoning —
Visit your doctor and ask that a faecal sample be taken to be micro-biologically analysed for food poisoning bacteria.
If you have food remaining from the suspected source, freeze it to prevent continued growth of bacteria.
The onset of symptoms can be as short as one hour; generally symptoms appear between 8-12 hours, but may also take as long as four days. Food poisoning symptoms consist of one or more of the following:
- stomach cramps;
- dizziness; and,
NOTE: If blood in the patient’s faeces is noticed, seek immediate medical attention.
We are participating in this scheme that allows food businesses to display a one to five star rating “score”. The “score” will inform customers of how well a business is adhering to the Food Safety Standards.
The voluntary scheme allows for a score derived from food safety assessments and inspections to be displayed at:
Click here for more details
Complete the form below and send to Council if you are intending on operating a temporary food business. For advice on approvals to sell food at Markets or during Council sponsored Events, call 8229 9999.