- St Jude’s Cemetery
- North Brighton Cemetery
- Memorial benches
- Glenelg Seaside Memorial (‘Ashes’ memorial)
- Family history and gravesite searches
- Local history in Holdfast Bay cemeteries; plus
- Links to related information.
Located at the rear of the St Jude’s Church at 444 Brighton Road, Brighton, St Jude’s Cemetery was established in 1854 and is the resting place of many significant South Australians, including Sir Douglas Mawson, Sir William Ashton and Catherine Helen Spence. The cemetery is State Heritage listed, and includes a columbarium (niche) wall for interment of cremated remains. Find it on a map here.
Burial plots at the cemetery are limited. Contact our Cemetery Curator by email or on 8229 9999 for more information.
Located at 301 Brighton Road, Somerton Park (with entry via King George Avenue), the North Brighton Cemetery recorded its first burial in 1859. It features the graves of many Glenelg and Brighton identities including William Fisk and the Bagshaw and Chinner families. Find it on a map here.
The cemetery includes several columbarium (niche) walls for the interment of cremated remains and features a mural and name plaques to honour the memory of stillborn babies and children who were buried at the cemetery in unmarked graves from 1902 to 1984.
We receive many requests each year for memorial plaques on the bench seating along our foreshore and in our parks and reserves. Unfortunately the demand for memorial seats is much higher than the number of seats we have available.
To accommodate the people who wish to honour a loved one whose ashes have been scattered in the waters off the Glenelg Beach, we have developed the Glenelg Seaside Memorial (see below).
We have developed the Glenelg Seaside Memorial to provide a place for people to honour loved ones whose ashes have been scattered in the waters off Glenelg Beach. The memorial concept grew from our wish to help the many people who called us expressing a need for a lasting, physical memorial of their loved one – something they could visit and touch.
Installed in February 2015 and located on the foreshore just north of the Glenelg Jetty, the memorial was designed as an interactive granite sculpture – a celebration of life, and of the people who loved this special place.
The Brighton Seaside Memorial will be placed in the coming months.
To apply to add a name to the memorial, please download the Glenelg Seaside Memorial Application Form(282 kb)Brighton Seaside Memorial Application Form(279 kb) Names are added to the memorial four times a year.
Please don’t leave flowers at the memorial.
Contact our Cemetery Curator by email or on 8229 9999 for more information.
Family history and gravesite searches
If you’re researching your family history, our Local History Centre (Ringwood House, 14 Jetty Road, Brighton) can assist you with searching for grave sites in our St Jude’s and North Brighton cemeteries.
To apply for a grave site search, please download the Gravesite search application form.
Our Local History Centre (Ringwood House, 14 Jetty Road, Brighton) is a great source of information about our St Jude’s and North Brighton cemeteries.
Our local history volunteers conduct tours of these cemeteries and other local sites of historical significance during the About Time Festival (previously known as History Month) in May each year, and at other times by appointment.
The Local History Centre is open:
Thursday and Friday 9.30am-noon
Contact our Local History Centre by email or on 8229 9999 for more information.
Links to related information
For more information about Holdfast Bay cemeteries, please download our Cemetery Management Plan (414 kb).
For more information about cemeteries in South Australia, please download: